Monday, August 3, 2015

What Happened To Customer Service

What is customer service in 2015?

Sad to say, I think customer service is a thing of the past.  In many industries, automation has replaced the human worker.  Kind of like what the Apple iPod did to the Sony Walkman.  Replaced.  Made obsolete.  Destined to be a really bad meme one day. 

Banks and credit unions have automatic teller machines (ATM).  The focus is on keeping the machines working and strategically placed.  The focus is not on improving teller’s customer service interactions with customers. 

I frequent a credit union branch where there is ample parking and usually three tellers working to keep the lines running smoothly.  The office is fairly quiet, the employees speak in low tones to the customers.  The overall feel was nice and the tellers used to be pleasant.  Over the last three years, I have seen new tellers cycle in to replace the tellers that were working when I first became a member.  The mood of the office has changed as well.  There was a time when customers were greeted at the front door with a smile and a “good morning”.  I was impressed by this.  This small credit union made a point to give personal service. 

Now, it is difficult to find the customer service person or a teller that looks me in the eyes and greets me.  When I wait in line to receive service from a teller, I may or may not be greeted.  There is little eye contact from the teller.  Often, I have to repeat my transaction request to the teller while she is punching keys on her computer.  When the transaction is complete, the cash back is placed on the counter, the teller says, “here you go”, and her eyes have not left the computer screen.  No thank you, come again.

The branch has a drive thru ATM, an ATM in the front of the branch, and now a new ATM inside the branch lobby.

When I have used the ATM, I placed the card into the slot.  The screen greets me each time, allows me to punch in a transaction or two, and prints out a receipt to go with the “thank you for visiting the credit union” message on the screen.  It is a fast and pleasant experience.


As automation continues to improve and take the place of human workers, I have to wonder.  Is it better to use the ATM so my expectation of good customer service will always be met?  Will the feedback I provide to the credit union branch manager be used to help tellers understand what makes their jobs important?  Will the machines cost tellers their jobs?  Do the tellers care if the machines cost them jobs?  Sometimes I feel like tellers do not care to improve the customer service they provide.  They may be preoccupied with their own thoughts of being replaced by machines to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment