Monday, June 22, 2015

Garlic helps the medicine go down

Being sick forces me to reflect on what I can do to make myself better.

This past Friday, I was feeling like absolute crap.  After a week of windy weather, I had been exposed to enough allergens to knock me off my feet for a few days.  There was so much pollen, tree, and grass allergens floating around that my daily use of Claritin was outnumbered. Three against one is not a fair fight.   I needed something more.

After being told by my regular doctor that Claritin was the strongest medication for me, I took it into my own hands to figure out how to treat my severe allergy reactions. Armed with the information the doctor provided, I also read about other remedies and figured out what combination of treatments was best for me.   I was the one being kept up at night because I was so congested, head-achy, and the sinus pressure was building back to my ears.  I was feverish and could not find a comfortable position to rest.  It was ultimately up to me to figure out a solution.

I took a clove of fresh garlic, peeled it, and stuck the smaller end of the clove into my ear.  The size of the glove was big enough to fit in the outer external area right before the meatus.  Garlic has natural antibiotic properties.  I have used garlic in the past and noticed how quickly it healed scrapes and wounds.  Bear in mind I am not saying that I used garlic instead of using an antibiotic.  I am saying that after consulting with a physician, I was cleared of needing a prescription for antibiotics so I used garlic for the allergy symptoms that I experienced in my ear.

My ear was clogged, hot, and tender.  The days leading up to the clog, it itched like crazy.  Upon reflection, I had to admit that it is true that nothing smaller than your elbow should be placed in your ear.  I had used Q-tips and hairpins to scratch the outer ear canal when I could no longer stand the intense itching.  The scratching had caused inflammation and fluid drainage.  I had to leave the ear alone and not disturb its healing process.  Distraction helped me not mess with the ear.  I would read about treatments for itching rather than satisfy the need one minute (Q-tips feel soo good) then have it throbbing with pain from scratching the next. 

I then stopped taking Claritin and tried over the counter Zyrtec for the congestion/allergy symptoms.  Zyrtec seemed to clear up the congestion within the first twenty four hour period after taking it.  Using a nasal spray and warm compresses sped the decongestant process up.  For the pain, I took Motrin.

The congestion in my sinuses began to clear and drain down into my throat.  I felt the colorless and odorless fluid in my ear drain while I was laying down on the affected side.  The feverish feeling was relieved with the Motrin and lots of water/fluids.  For a good sick day drink, I take a lemon, squeeze it into a mug, fill with warm water, and stir in a few teaspoons of honey.  Tea and honey feels good going down a scratchy throat also.
Hot water, lemon, honey, and sometimes a pinch of cayenne pepper can help clear up congestion!


If my symptoms worsened I had a plan to get to the emergency room.  I was relieved that I began to feel better after twenty four hours.


Although I value the input from a doctor, I also recognize the need to be proactive in my daily maintenance and care.  Using common sense, my knowledge of natural remedies, and the information from trusted health websites, I was able to get myself on the road to feeling better.  And no more Q-tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment