Monday, June 1, 2015

Shopping Star Chronicles

My name is René and I like to shop.

I get such a huge rush of adrenaline when I am planning a shopping trip.  I can be shopping for myself, such as purchasing a few new pieces for a seasonal wardrobe, or I can be shopping for someone else, such as a family member graduating from school or celebrating a birthday.  It does not matter, I will find the enjoyment and thrill in shopping.  I'm the type who will always find something for myself at any store.  Usually, I will debate if I want to stand in line for that one thing out of the entire store that I found and liked.  

I got it from my mama.  My mother was a model who liked to look fashionable.  She shopped downtown San Francisco and selected beautifully made garments in some fancy department stores.  As a child, I would gaze at the chandeliers that sparkled like freshly polished jewels and the crystal clear mirrors that reflected every detail about how you looked in the clothing you were trying on.  I found it exciting just to look at the clothes.  The dresses had shiny gold buttons, cleverly hidden zippers, embroidery at the hemline, and pops of color.  Clothes look one way on the hanger and another way when you try them on.  The harsh dressing room lighting combined with the flaw magnifying mirrors could make you look really good or really bad.  Mom looked really good in the dresses she slid into.  I wanted to look around at all the new clothes, try things on, and buy them. 

My father was the complete opposite.  He did not like shopping.  When I needed a birthday outfit for my thirteenth birthday party, he took me to the mall and complained from the time we pulled into a parking space to the time we made it out the store.  He hated shopping.   I mentioned that I liked an outfit a mannequin wore.  Cute patchwork denim overalls, tee shirt, and matching cap.  My father quickly located the items and found my size.  He rushed me out of the store so fast, I did not have the pleasure of feeling the fabric, holding it against my frame so I can get a sense for the fit, and then trying it on in front of the criticizing glare of the overhead lights in the fitting room.  

So I got both the shopping gene and the anti shopping gene.  That probably explains why I will like an item one minute then debate if I should buy the item the next minute.

I try to be an effective shopper.  When I am in the market for a birthday outfit, I try to browse sales ads and online deals before I make up my mind.  
I try to shop smart.  Sometimes it is not a good idea to open up a store credit card just because the store offers coupons.  I admit to sometimes making not so smart decisions, and try to learn from them.
I like to try new things because there are so many great products out there, I could find my next favorite thing.  Product reviews!
Shopping for clothes, makeup, skin care, health care, and home goods enriches life.  Finding the right items to look and feel your best can boost your self esteem.  Stick with me, I'll show you how!

No comments:

Post a Comment