Wednesday, June 10, 2015

How To Create A Basic, Go-To Outfit

I'm so glad it's Wednesday, I feel like the camel in the  Geico commercial saying "guess what day it is...guess what day it is?  Hump Day!"  Yeah, like that!

So Monday I discussed how to organize clothes for the work week.  Hope it was helpful to you.  I did receive some feedback from Chris, that she enjoyed the tips.  Thank you Chris, your feedback is much appreciated!

Today, I was hoping to help with putting together a basic, go-to outfit. When you are going somewhere casual, like the movies or out for pizza, and have a hard time deciding what to wear.  The concept of an easy outfit can get misunderstood and over thought.   Having an easy outfit ready will take the stress out of getting dressed.  It can actually be fun.  I make getting dressed fun by playing some music (Pandora Usher station) and adding some personal touches to my outfits.  Sometimes I do something different, wear something colorful, add some new touches to a plain article of clothing, and try a new twist on something that is considered classic.  I let my personality out with my accessories and make up.  If I am feeling playful, for example, I will wear a bright pink lipstick or put on my bling Hello Kitty necklace.  A small touch goes a long way!

Things you will need for a basic, go-to outfit: tops, bottoms, shoes.

Have on stock some good quality t-shirts.  I found some well made cotton t-shirts at H&M.  The first shopping trip I bought two.  When I discovered that I liked the fit, I returned and bought a few more.  Colors like black, white, and tan can be worn with many different bright colors like purple, blue, and green.  Mix, match, and rotate all the color combinations.  I find that I can wear these t-shirts in any season, under blazers and jackets as well as under a light cardigan sweater.  Uniqlo also makes nicely constructed t-shirts.  There was a promotion a while ago where the t-shirts were around 5 dollars.  I tried a crew neck black tee and loved it.  It felt soft, washed well, had no shrinking.  So I returned to Uniqlo and got a few more tees.  Knowing that I like to wear black t-shirts, I made sure I had a collection of v-neck, crew, and cami black tees.  The black tees go with jeans, leggings, under a denim jacket.  I like a good black tee.

Sometimes I tie the t-shirt in a knot at the back or on the side.  It fits snug, adding shape for a more feminine fit.  Add pins, necklaces, and scarves to the tee to switch it up.  Put on a colorful bracelet or bangle, large watches, or cuffs.

Bottoms are your jeans, leggings, twill pants, cotton pull on pants, skirts, and shorts.  When you try on clothing, be aware of how the jeans fit at your waist, how they shape or flatten your rear, and how long they are (the inseam).  I am 5'9" tall, so I am always looking for the right length on pants.  Gap, Old Navy, Ann Taylor, JC Penney, and  New York & Company make long cut jeans and pants.  For any budget, you can seek out long pants that fit you properly.  I dislike when my pants shrink after washing and I am flooding like the levee broke.  Girl.  The flooded pants have to be taken out of rotation and either cut into shorts or just worn around the house.  Please tap me on the shoulder and let me know if I'm flooding.  It's a pet peeve of mine.

To switch it up, you can cuff the bottom of your pants (non-flooding style ankle pants) or put on a belt.  No belt?  Tie a scarf around your waist.  I have worn a gold chain with charms around my jeans as a belt.  Have fun with it!

Shoes can be found everywhere now.  Stores, boutiques, and online, free shipping and easy returns.  There is no reason that you cannot find a pair of shoes nowadays.  I have been going to DSW for years now.  I like DSW because they send coupons through the DSW Rewards program.  Can you say: save an additional twenty percent on already reduced priced shoes? Five dollars off?  Score.  DSW carries so many great brands, like Anne Klein, Jessica Simpson, Me Too, and Reebok.  Every type of shoe from flats, sandals, boots, and heels can be found there.  Love love love the downtown San Francisco location.  Fun to browse the three levels and try on different shoe styles.  

Shoes can be worn in basic black, dark brown, and grey.  When looking for a pop of color, experiment with purple, bright blue, white, yellow.  Currently, I have my eyes on a pair of Lime green flats by Bootsi Tootsi that I found on Amazon.  I would totally wear them for spring going into summer with a white t-shirt and blue jeans.

Once you have your basics, experiment with putting an outfit together.  I paired a white tee with grey pants to be worn with black flats.  To deck it out, I put on a colorful Echo purple, navy blue, and lavender scarf with some gold hoop earrings.  Get the idea?

So when you are going out for a casual day or evening, there is no excuse to panic over an outfit.  Have a few basic go-to outfits ready, and you will be ready to look good while having a good time.   Be your own stylist and keep track of what works and what does not (like my flooded jeans).   Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment