Friday, June 26, 2015

Walking on Sunshine!

I am so proud of myself this week.  Not only did I heal from an allergy problem, but I did not eat dessert all week and I got in some good exercise.

This is my third week of no desserts during the week and I feel good.  My pants fit a little looser and I feel lighter.  On the weekends I did not go overboard like I thought I would.  Even though I had two slices of pie last Saturday, it still did not have the same impact that five days’ worth of pie servings would have had.

The weather has been warm but windy, so it was perfect for getting outside to exercise.  I laced up my shoes, grabbed a sweatshirt, and hit the neighborhood parks.  I also took my allergy medication and washed my face afterwards to avoid getting sick from exposure to all the pollen blowing around.  What really kept me going was knowing that I was getting some fresh air, burning calories from a brisk walk, and getting some sunshine.   All of those things are good for me, but what felt the best was having lots of sunshine on my skin.  It was a welcoming feeling after having some overcast weather.

The park has lots of benches and bleacher seats that I use to stretch and balance on for some squats.  The beauty of going out to parks like Lake Merced is that not only is there lots of green grass and trees, there are also lots of wildlife.  Ducks swim in the lake and are so cute to watch, especially when they have baby ducklings swimming in a line after them.  There are lots of birds at the lake.  I have seen owls there, graceful herons, and those crazy mallards that like to fight each other for bread (feeding ducks is such a great pastime).  Getting out helps me clear my mind of any stresses that threaten to manifest into sleeplessness, overeating, and other self-destructive habits.
Lake Merced, San Francisco, CA


Having a playlist for working out helps me so much.  I listen to fast paced, dance-able music to keep me on a good stride.  Songs like “Push It” by Salt N Pepa, “Rock Your Body” by Justin Timberlake, “Bad Romance” and “Applause” by Lady Gaga, and some BBD, Bobby Brown, J Lo, Chris Brown, and Ghost Town DJ s (“My Boo” is the jam, I break out in dance when I hear it).


After my walk, I stopped by the produce market and got a bagful of vegetables.  Over the weekend I will be making some salads and fresh corn to supplement my diet.  Those salads will come in handy because I am free to have dessert this weekend, and I have my eye on a slice of German chocolate cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment