Monday, June 29, 2015

Savings for Everyday Items

We all need toiletries, food, over the counter medications, pharmacy prescriptions, and other everyday items.  Where to get those items and feel like you are getting a good deal can be a challenge.  There are so many stores that advertise weekly sales, rewards programs, and buy one get one offers that I wonder what is a good deal?

In my area, there are two Targets, two CVS stores, plenty of Walgreen's, a Safeway, Whole Foods, Costco, and two Trader Joe's store.  Every week, a circular promotes the deals and specials for each store.  There is no way I want to visit each store to hunt for sale items.  The driving around is a waste of gas, time, and energy.  I like to plan my shopping so that I know what I need, plan the trip so I am conserving energy, and make lists so I keep track of items I want to buy.

I usually get circulars in the mail.  When I have the papers in front of me, I can review them and note what I need.  If for some reason I do not have a paper ad, most stores have online access to their weekly deals.  The tricky part is that I often see a lot of things that I do not need but are on sale.  Target has gift card offers where you buy three of the same items (like Aussie hair care) and receive a 5 dollar gift card.  I frequent Target enough to use gift cards there, so I like to take advantage of the products that offer the gift cards.  I once bought three Aussie products, one shampoo and one conditioner in 29 fluid ounce bottles, and an 8 ounce 3 Minute Miracle Conditioning Treatment.  The purchase came out to about 15 dollars, and I received a 5 dollar gift card.  I thought that was a good deal.  My only concern with Target's gift card deals is that I should not purchase items that I do not need just to receive a gift card or I would be stockpiling shampoo.  There is only so much shampoo I can use.  I try to be reasonable so I make sure that I am going to use the items fairly soon and not just put them on a storage shelf in the garage.  The sales rotate so I am not going to miss much.  I can use available cash for other needs like gas. I am better disciplined  to buy only what I need for the month.  I figure that in the end, it will be more cost effective way to shop.

When I am planning a shopping trip to Target for my necessities, I shop on a day when I am driving near a Target.  There is no need to drive just to the store, that wastes fuel (after I saved money for the gas by resisting Target gift card temptation).  When I know I will be in the vicinity of my favorite Target location, I make plans to stop there.  I like to keep reusable shopping bags in the car because Target gives you a 5 cent credit for using your own bags.  Checking items on the Target Cartwheel app saves even more money when the items I need have additional mobile coupons.  Last week, I saved 8 dollars by scanning the items I had in my cart with the app.

The best way I can keep a running list of my shopping needs is on my Buy Me A Pie! app.  I freaking love this app.  There are multiple lists that I manage, such as the grocery list, the produce market list, and the list for Target.  The app helps me add items that I may have forgotten when I first created the list, it is simple to update.  Recently, I received an upgraded PRO subscription to BMAP so I can make up to 20 lists, can share the lists with up to 20 accounts, and best of all (drum roll please) no ads!  I don't like ads that come with free apps, sometimes they interrupt the flow of what I am doing.  The ads are annoying because I am not interested in playing Clash of the Clan no matter how many times the banner pops up.  Since I am so organized with my list, I am able to remember to use my Cartwheel app at Target for even more savings.

Even with a list, there are great items and prices at Target so I usually buy extra items.  I am not alone in that I can visit Target for five items and come out with ten items.  It's like Target math or some kind of weird multiplication formula they do to shoppers.  Try sticking to your list when there is a bin of markdowns on Dove deodorant.  I want to smell good while I'm pumping gas with all the money I've saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment